Infantry School Building, Ft. Benning, Ga.
This is a beautiful Curt Teich linen postcard, number 8A-H2001, published in 1938 — apparently when this building was still pretty new. GlobalSecurity.org has the story of how this school and post came to be:
On September 18, 1918 the Adjutant General directed that the Infantry School of Arms with all personnel, property and equipment move to Columbus, Georgia by October 1, 1918. The first troops from Fort Sill arrived on October 6, 1918, and occupied a temporary camp three miles east of town on Macon Road. The next day the camp was officially opened. At the request of the Columbus Rotary Club, the camp was named in honor of Confederate General Henry Lewis Benning, a Columbus native many thought was the area’s most outstanding Civil War officer.
The search for a permanent location for the camp settled on a plantation site south of Columbus owned by Mr. Arthur Bussey. The Bussey land featured the kind of terrain considered ideal for training Infantrymen. The plantation would serve as the core of the camp, and the large frame house, known as Riverside, would serve as quarters for a long line of commanders.
After years of struggling for appropriations and attention from the makers of Army policy, Benning enjoyed a construction boom in the mid-1930s as a result of federal work projects during the great depression (sic).
Nowadays, this is the “old” Infantry School Headquarters, according to Cultural Resources Management at Fort Benning; it is now the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC).