Jonathan Livingston Seagull, en Français

"For most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating."

Postcard Friendship Friday (PFF)I’ve always enjoyed Richard Bach’s work, though it gets a little out there at times.  He also has a tendency to hit you over the head with the point he’s trying to make.  But the idea that life is more than going to work to earn the money to buy the food to get the strength to go to work, ad infinitum, really hit home for me at a young age:

How much more there is now to living! Instead of our drab slogging forth and back to the fishing boats, there’s reason to life! We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!

By contrast, the movie was pretty awful; so awful, in fact, that the author sued for negligence.  I vaguely remember seeing it when I was very young; it may have contributed to my general distaste for the work of Neil Diamond. Nevertheless, it has since been released on DVD. As part of my Postcard Friendship Friday duties, I must advise you to do yourself a favor and read the book instead; looks like you can get a first edition hardcover like mine for a dollar. (I also picked up an interesting little softcover Turkish translation about 20 years ago; I wonder how it reads in French.)

Don’t forget to check out the other blogs celebrating Postcard Friendship Friday.

1. Lydia says:

Charming postcard. I hadn’t thought about this book for ages. You make me happy that I did not see the movie. :)

I’m sorry to say I’ve neither read the book or seen the movie. I wonder if I should try it in French. It needs to be quite compelling to keep me going – I’m normally a fast reader and it’s such a slog for me in French.

3. Daryl says:

Promotional postcard .. interesting .. and I think you maybe giving Mr Diamond shortshift …

4. Muse Swings says:

Although I am an avid reader, I recall purchasing the book and then not reading beyond the first few pages. Perhaps I’ll give it another try now.

5. dmarks says:

Thank heaven for Turkish seagulls.

6. Margo M says:

I loved this book when I was a kid, and didn’t even know there was a movie. I guess I should count myself lucky!

7. Ana says:

I have read the book some years ago,and back then i wasnt really impressed….i think i was actually out of focus when reading it…but i dont think i will ever watch the movie…movies rarely come close to what a book can give you and they always just disperse the overall mixture of images and feelings i had created while reading a book…there are many great movies out there, but i feel more cosy while reading a book :)

Poor Neily! I’m going to flip on a CD and swoon a bit now!

Pearl just wrote that she visited everyone except for you because the page wouldn’t load. I’ve actually noticed that over the last few days. It’s really really really slow. I wonder what is going on? Just wanted to tell you:)

10. Sreisaat says:

I love this book.
    Actually my husband, when we were still dating, gave me his own copy. I didn’t know a movie was made out of it, and I don’t think I’ll watch it at all…

11. Eddy says:

Bonjour Chris,
    belle reproduction de l’affiche du film.
    je ne l’ai pas vu, ce doit etre un film des années 1960′ ?
    happy PFF

Hi Chris! I hope that you had a great weekend!