Deacon’s Visit to Town

An early postcard collector

The Deacon Found a Pretty GirlSome vintage humor for Postcard Friendship Friday: a deacon goes to town and discovers that they make postcards of pretty girls! (You can click on the extreme closeup at right and see for yourself what makes this deacon smile.)

Moreover, he seems pleased as punch at the discovery. And why shouldn’t he be? I know that I was pretty excited when I found out about it.

Looks like my Great-Grandpa Phil received this postcard, oh, a little over a hundred years ago; the postmark is a little obscured, but it looks like January 9, 1909.

Edna says that all is well

1. Kate says:

You are lucky that someone in your family had enough foresight to save these delightful cards, especially this one.

2. For some reason, I was instantly drawn to this postcard, and then got quite a start on seeing the name of the addressee. A had a however-many-greats grandfather named Philip Smith, born well over 100 before yours, who settled in Bedford (later Somerset) Co, PA. Haven’t thought of him in years! Thanks!

And yes, how lucky someone had the good sense to save the card!

3. Dave Dubé says:

Oooooh! Cheeky Monkey! You’ve a real sense of humor for even suggesting the use of artistic license to put one over on the US Postal Service! If you think my enthusiasm for such a thing is lacking, check out the envelope I sent to Mary Green a few days ago: http://greenpaper.typepad.com/green/2009/08/envelope-art.html and in particular the stamp. Click on the image of the envelope and enlarge it. You will notice a line running upper Left corner to lower Right corner. It’s two recombined pieces of two stamps. In the Philatelic world it’s called a ‘Bisect’ when a stamp is cut in half. In my world, since the stamps are the King & Queen of Hearts, it’s called a Bisectual Union or a Royal Wedding when the pieces are ‘mated’. Any questions? By the way – Did I tell you I like postcards?

A postcard within a postcard! Something of a gem I would think.

5. Muse Swings says:

Edna runs out of space before she runs out of address just like I do. The post office wasn’t as strict back then. My letters and cards are returned with grades. Got a C- on the last one. And a note: Cynthia needs to improve her planning skills.

6. dmarks says:

Great view. one happy deacon.

You must have inherited your obsession from him.

8. Beth says:

Hahaha..that’s funny.

9. Snap says:

What a great card! What fun! There is never enough room on the card for a real Note!

10. Terry says:

Howdy
    Happy PFF what a lucky fellow the Deacon was .
    You also are a lucky one with your ancestors postcard treasures in hand .
    Once again you have shared a great post .
    Have a fantastic weekend.
    Happy Trails

11. Bella Foxx says:

Very nice card. Happy PFF

12. Stephanie says:

I wonder how many recipients of this card got out the magnifying glass to see if they could see more.

13. Very nice card, Chris. Over 100 years old, wow! :)

14. LaraL says:

What a neat postcard! I love vintage cards and this is the best one I have seen recently!!! You are indeed lucky to have such a treasure, especially since it is connected to your family! My best wishes to you, Lara