A Young Boy in a Sailor Suit, Circa 1915

Yes you can sail the seven seas

Postcard Friendship Friday (PFF)Much of the US and the world has already gone back to school; those who haven’t will probably start by next Tuesday, the day after Labor Day. This young lad is no doubt posing for his back-to-school portrait. After all, he wouldn’t wear white after Labor Day, would he?

Based on the Artura photo paper stampbox on this postcard, I can definitively say that this postcard was produced between 1908 and 1924, so I split the difference and decided it was around 1915. This photo was taken at Ferguson’s Studio of Elkins, West Virginia.

Sadly, I am not able to find any historical references to the studio, save one: in 2003, an auction house (I won’t say which one) had a collection of 14 real photo postcards of the same (unknown) family, taken at Ferguson’s. They expected to fetch $300 for the lot. Ridiculous. I picked up this card as part of a lot of unrelated RPPCs, and the cost per card was far less than a dollar.

Taken at Ferguson's Studio, Elkins, WV

Be sure to check out the other little boys and girls celebrating Postcard Friendship Friday!

1. Lydia says:

This is one special postcard, and I loved your commentary.

Everyone looks cute in a sailor suit.

3. aimee says:

This card is adorable! My husband would die if I dressed our son like that though! I think it is so cute though!

He looks very happy with the outfit anyway. The picture is remarkably clear..

5. Stephanie says:

He reminds me of one of my mother’s brothers. I think she has a picture of him in a sailor suit as well.

6. Dave Dubé says:

I’ve got photos of my dad that look just like this! Pompadour hairdo. Really special. We chided him about that one every time we turned to that page in the album.

The stamps were purchased on the after-market by one on the Society members specifically for those covers, Chris. You don’t have to pay much over face for some of the old postage, actually. I’m using Grace Kelly stamps on my covers for the Gary Cooper issue which I’ll post next Friday, since the First Day for Cooper is Thursday.

7. Irene says:

I use to dress my boys in sailor suits, I really loved them, they looked so clean, and dressed up. But when they no longer wanted to wear them, I let them choose what they wanted to wear. love your post.

8. Marina Miranda says:

how adorable ! This little boy is really lovely!thanks for sharing
    happy PFF
    Marina :)

9. Debrina says:

Oh flippity flip fabulous! Had to use a bit of alliteration there, as I just love your blog and it called for it! I have the coolest postcards I’d love for you to see. Can I email them to you?
    I’d love to know what you think of them, as they’re a bit of a mystery to me.

10. LINDA SCOTT says:

Amazing!! I was born and raised in Elkins, WV. I just rec’d a week or so ago, a photo of my grandmother and her two sisters taken at Ferguson’s Studio, Elkins, WV. We are guessing the photo was probably taken around 1918-1920.